Sunday, September 7, 2008

What is the future of the world?

I still disagree with Fukuyama. I do not believe that we have reached the end of history. I cannot predict the future but I believe that we will still face the clashing of civilizations and war.  Both Kaplan and Huntington have similar ideas about conflict arising among different people and the plausibility of violence. In my Intro. to Latina/o Studies class we were discussing how the world is getting smaller for the following reasons: surges in population, immigration and technology have made  it much easier for different cultures to interact with one another and even bump heads. In my last two posts I stated that I think different cultures will always find reasons to fight. Kaplan suggests that the increasing number of people in the world could lead to confrontation because of the dwindling of natural resources. For those that are suffering from poverty, crime, and disease war could seem/be beneficial. It would actually be a step up from their current situations. I think Kaplan and even Huntington (although he's a bit more extreme) make valid points about the future of the world and that if we continue the way we are going the clashing of civilizations is highly probable.

1 comment:

Vadim Isakov said...

I would like to think that globalization and technology make the world a better and peaceful place but recent conflicts indicate that even a "global village" is prone to clashes.